Tuesday, July 12, 2011

The Old Guard

I am so fortunate to have a job this coming Fall. I will be teaching English to 9th and 10th graders at my old High School, in Orange. There is no place I would rather be than at my alma mater, attempting to inspire a zest for reading and writing in my students. However, I have heard my new principal mention a group of teachers several times with a mild loathing in his tone. He calls them the "Old Guard." Without having to ask, I know who these teachers are. These are the teachers who began their careers in the late 60's and early 70's. They are tough, venerated and confident. For the most part, they find technology unnecessary in their classrooms. They often refuse to enter grades online or participate in new types of training for technology advancements in the classroom. Some people call them "dinosaurs," but my principal calls them "the old guard." Many of my classmates are simply waiting for these "dinosaurs" to retire, so they may take their places. In fact, I would not have my job unless a member of "the old guard" had not retired.

Here's the problem: my mentor in high school, my role model for teacher, my educational inspiration, is one of this "Old Guard." In fact, she's probably the leader. She does things her way and the rest of the faculty follows. There is probably little room for negotiations, I doubt I would have the fortitude to challenge anything she says or, really, decrees. My conundrum is about how to negotiate the murky waters of implementing my new, fun, possibly innovative technology practices within the realm of her, and other members of her "old guard," tolerance. My strategy thus far consists of flying under the radar. Let's hope it works.

No comments:

Post a Comment